Monday, July 6, 2009

My friend, Sleep, and I are in a bit of a fight

In my next life I really want to be a man! Not that I wanna sit on the couch, scratch, and burp (I do that regardless), I want their simplicity and ability to distance themselves from any situation.

I woke this morning, or rather dragged my ass, out of bed at 7 am with the regular summons from my little alarm clock who needs no batteries. Usually I'm groggy but functional but this fine particular morning nothing is functional. My mind is thick and sluggish and begging me to grab a pot of coffee and a straw. Yes, my friends, stress is creeping in and stealing my sleep from me. My stressors are divided between the sensical everyday stresses of life, and the non-sensical stresses of being a mother.
We may in the future be looking at a bit of a financial hit. Which anytime would be coverable but with trying to save for the upcoming nuptials, not so much fun. When is money fun though right??? Well besides when we're spending it frivolously, that seemed like a good idea at the time but leaves you full of regrets and a headache the next day, not unlike a hangover. Economics, future, health....these are all regular stresses and while a pain, are usually tolerable.
Once night hits, my neighbourhood takes on a side job....racetrack. You hear people driving like maniacs all over the place after 11 pm-ish. As I'm trying to find my comfortable spot in bed (I'm much like an animal who turns over and over and over then FINALLY falls asleep) I hear that the race has begun. Some invincible genius peels around the corner and burns down the street. Now I'm NOT even close to sleeping. My thoughts immediately turn to my son who's fast asleep in his crib in the next room. What if he'd been outside??? What could have happened??? At this point my friend, Sleep gets sick of being ignored and just gets up and leaves. I start thinking about what if one of these idiots hurt my precious baby??? I'd hate to have to hurt someone else's precious baby...but that's what it'd come down to if it was a show down between them and mine. I'm, over course, looking over the most obvious as my horrid daydream takes place...why would my son be outside playing on the street in the middle of the night??? This is non-sensical stress. The combination of the two caused me to ignore sleep and sleep, therefore, to ignore me.

Now getting back to why I wish I was a man. Through all this, my fiance is snoring away, oblivious to all. Why isn't he worried that a car is gonna spin out of control, crash through our house, go up the stairs, and take a left, and possible hurt our precious one??? Why isn't he obsessing over saving for our meager wedding??? It's because he's aware one's impossible and the other one can be worked around and at the end of it all...it doesn't matter. Which is why he's bounding around a kitchen right now and I'm fantasizing about a King named Sealy with his 500 thread-count Egyptian cotton robes. Ugh pass me the pot and a straw!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment